Breeding Education & Resources
NKCUSA Breeding Committee
Your resource for Best Breeding Practices, forms, health testing information, and educational articles for breeders of Nederlandse Kooikerhondje; as well as the Breeders’ Directory.
The mission of this committee is to benefit the future of the Nederlandse Kooikerhondje by providing informational resources and educational support to all Kooikerhondje Club of the USA members interested in breeding the Nederlandse Kooikerhondje. Committee goals are: to promote knowledge of and breeding to the AKC approved breed standard; to promote quality and integrity in all aspects and issues regarding breeding, care, rearing, placement and continuing breeder responsibility to the purebred Nederlandse Kooikerhondje; and to promote open communication in regard to continuing development and support for more informed, responsible, committed and ethical breeding practices.
NKCUSA Breeding Committee Scope
1. To encourage participation in NKCUSA health testing recommendations and participation in the Health and Litter Database by providing information to the VHNK through the Breeding Committee.
2. To develop and provide programs for breeder development and education to assist NKCUSA members in understanding breeder responsibilities, ethics, and issues.
3. To promote educational development and more informed breeding choices by supporting study of the AKC approved Nederlandse Kooikerhondje standard, pedigrees, health, and temperament issues.
4. To develop and maintain Breeder Referral materials including a list of NKCUSA breeders, a list of upcoming litters, and a list of stud dogs for dissemination to Breeder Referral inquiries as well as for the NKCUSA website.
5. To offer informational resources regarding the breeding of the Nederlandse Kooikerhondje for NKCUSA members; to always foster an open, non-judgmental, and unbiased dialogue among breeders, the committee and the board that encourages member growth, participation and information dissemination to those members interested in breeding.
6. Provide, coordinate and host an annual breeder educational conference at the NKCUSA National Specialty. Topics will benefit both the novice and experienced breeder.
7. Continually update and maintain educational information for the NKCUSA membership with the inclusion of Kooiker Chronicle articles, a page on the NKCUSA website, and provide additional informational resource materials as needed to benefit novice and experienced breeders alike.
Members who wish to breed . . .
Members who wish to breed Nederlandse Kooikerhondje should do so with the full understanding of the responsibility they bear to the future of this breed. Breeders are expected to understand the breed standard, the traits in a breeding dog’s immediate and extended family, and the application of the principles of genetics. Additionally, breeders should have a practical knowledge of mating; care of the bitch in whelp; the rearing of a litter; and the time, effort, and resources to engage in this activity.
AKC Canine College Courses for Breeders https://www.caninecollege.akc.org/collections/courses-for-breeders
Institute of Canine Biology Genetic courses http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/courses.html